A cupcake with a surprise chocolate filling inside will impress your friends and family. They won't know how easy it can be to create this tasty dessert. Making filled cupcakes is easy when you have an apple coring tool. A new use for your kitchen gadget.
Then, you will make your chocolate filling.
Chocolate Filling Recipe
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/8 cup sugar ( add sparingly, then taste test if you need more add more)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tsp salt
3 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large ( 1/2 - 2 quart) microwaveable bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- Pour 3 cups of milk into a one quart measuring cup and microwave for two minutes.
- Gradually add the milk to the dry ingredients, whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Microwave the filling for 8 minutes and stir every two minutes.
- The pudding should be hot and thickened, if not microwave an additional minute and thirty seconds.
- Add butter and vanilla to the hot chocolate filling.
- Using a whisk, stir until the butter and vanilla are stirred in completely.
- Place plastic wrap over the top of the filling and cool until firm. I put my bowl in the refrigerator freezer for about 18 minutes.
- Stir cooled filling with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Put the filling in a pastry bag.
- Using an apple coring tool like the one shone, or a sharp paring knife, cut a cone from the center of each cupcake. Gently press the apple coring tool into the cupcake center, using a twisting motion. Then remove the core of cake with the slide feature of the tool.
- Cut the tip off of the pastry bag full of filling.
- Fill the cupcake with filling and replace the cone top.
- Frost with desired icing and pastry tip.
I used tip #195 to create a swirled top, added sprinkles, and a hand made fondant flower.