Friday, March 28, 2014

Devil's Food Chocolate Chip Cake

Last night I wanted chocolate. Anything chocolate. A search of the pantry yielded half a bag of semisweet chocolate chips, a devil's food chocolate cake mix, and marshmallows. Devil's food chocolate chip cake and marshmallows sounded like the cure to my chocolate attack. As I retrieved eggs from the refrigerator, I saw the container of plain yogurt. I have seen recipes for sour cream chocolate cake, so I decided to use yogurt as an additional ingredient in my cake, too.

I have never added marshmallows to cake batter and was curious to see how baking would affect them.
Fresh from the oven. The marshmallows melted into the cake batter. 


Ingredients

1 box devil's food chocolate cake mix
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup marshmallows

Directions

Follow cake mix directions for making the cake batter. 
Add 1/3 cup of plain yogurt with the oil and eggs
Stir  in chocolate chips and marshmallows
Pour batter into a lightly greased 9 inch by 2 inch square cake pan
Bake according to the cake mix package
The cake will take about 30 to 35 minutes to bake.
Cool in pan

The chocolate chips were especially noticeable in the bottom inch of the cake and imparted a dark chocolate flavor to the the cake. The marshmallows melted without flavoring the cake. This is not a sweet chocolate cake and is a great partner for the frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB