|Cinnamon Cake Waffle Cherry Torte|
This is a great pantry style dessert to make ahead of time. It is similar to a refrigerator cake because it should be refrigerated for 3 hours to overnight, once it is assembled. BUT the end result is worth the wait! The cinnamon cake waffles and whipped cream create a moist, cinnamon flavored layer that is accompanied perfectly with the lightly spiced cherry filling.
The cinnamon cake batter will yield 8 - 6.5 inch waffles. You will use 4 waffles for one torte.
Tip: Place extra waffles in a freezer bag and freeze for another day. Thaw waffles. Serve topped with ice cream and fruit.
Batter Ingredients for Cinnamon Cake Waffles
- 16.5 oz. box of extra moist white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Tip: Keep two boxes of white cake mix in the pantry at all times. White cake mix is a versatile ingredient that can be used to make a wide variety of cakes, cookies, dessert waffles, and more.
Ingredients for One Torte Yield: 4-6 servings
- 21 oz. can of cherry pie filling or topping
- 14 oz. can of sweetened whipped cream I used the light version and it was great!
- Ground nutmeg
- 4 - six and a half inch cinnamon cake waffles
Directions for Cinnamon Cake Waffles
1. Place the first five ingredients in a 1.5 quart bowl.
2. Blend on low speed until moistened. About 30 seconds.
3. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
4. Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions
5. Lightly oil your waffle iron.
Mine is nonstick and I use pan spray before cooking each waffle.
6. Place 1/2 cup of batter in center of preheated waffle iron.
7. Cook the waffle for 2-3 minutes, or until the waffle is golden brown.
8. Place the waffle on a cooling rack until completely cool.
9. Repeat numbers 5-8 until all of the batter is gone.
My yield was eight - six and a half inch waffles.
Assembling the Torte