Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Meth Addiction: A Mom's Perspective

Thanksgiving is almost here and I'm having trouble feeling thankful this morning. I am dealing with an adult child who has drug issues, law issues, and living issues.

Watching my church-going, God-loving, straight A, National Honor Society, cheer leading, piano-playing, tap-dancing daughter turn into a meth-addicted high school dropout hasn't been easy. Her step dad, my husband, died in 2005 and I feel like this event is what started her down the path she has chosen to follow for the last seven years. The first year, her sister and I tracked her down late at night several times because she wasn't home by curfew. "I hate you!" became a familiar phrase. One day she attacked my minivan with her bare hands and put three dents in the cargo hatch. Every time I asked her if she was taking drugs, she became indignant, looked me straight in the eye and lied to me. One morning when she was "sick" I took her to the hospital and had her tested for drugs. The results were positive and there was no more lying to me. She completely and totally shut her sister and I out of her life. Her friends understood her. Her friends liked her. Her friends were...

Verbal abuse became physical one night and I ended up calling the police to remove my sixteen year old from my home. What a mess! I was too embarrassed to tell the truth about my broken nose. Who wants to tell people that their teenager attacked them and broke their nose? This was just the beginning.  One morning ,about an hour after I had taken my daughter to school and watched her walk across the crosswalk to the high school building, I received a call from the sheriff's department and the high school. My daughter and one of her "friends" had been stopped by law enforcement officers who were observing a local drug house. The police took the two young women to school and proceeded to call in a K-9 unit and have the lockers of both girls searched. Nothing was found so truancy was the worst offense that came out of this. Why wasn't this a wake up call for my child? It was a wake-up call for ME.

Today my daughter is living with her thirty-two year old fiancee in a broken down, dilapidated trailer with two nonfunctional cars in front of it. He has already been in and out of long term treatment(prison for addicts) and regular incarceration. This morning as I write this, I believe he is in jail in southern Missouri. My baby girl is going to court this morning. She is seven months pregnant, working as a waitress, and believes she will be incarcerated. I am helpless to assist her. She is twenty-two years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB