Monday, January 25, 2016

Almost a Fail: Sugar Cookies

OMG! I have been making my sugar cookie recipe for years and almost failed at making a batch! 

I knew the dough was crumbly.
However, kneading it by hand helped. The dough began to hold together and form a dough ball. 

This is where I should have realized something was wrong, but didn't
After an hour of chillin' in the 'frig, the dough should have been ready. I put half of the chilled dough onto the silicone mat, pressed it flat with my hand, and attempted to roll the dough out into a sheet with the rolling pin. 
The dough crumbled under the rolling pin. 

This is where I finally realized there was a problem!
I took a pinch of dough and taste tested it. YUCK! No Sugar! I left out the cup of sugar!

Throw it away or fix it?
I needed to fix this dough. I had used the last stick of  butter, the store was closed, the nearest open store is 15 miles away, and I had to have those cookies the next day for a church event! I needed to fix this cookie dough.

Saved It! 
After thinking about the problem for a minute or two, this is what I decided to do:
  • I measured out the missing 1 cup of sugar and added 3 Tbsp. of water to it
  • gently stirred the water into the sugar until it was well blended
  • Added the sugar water mixture to the dough
  • Kneaded the sugar water mixture into the crumbly dough for about 5 minutes
  • Within a minute the dough began to hold together and feel more like sugar cookie dough
After about 5 minutes the sugar mixture was completely incorporated and the dough felt like normal cookie dough
  • Chilled the dough AGAIN for about 45 minutes.
  • Rolled out the dough without a single problem, and the cookies baked normally!
Woohoo! I saved the cookies! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB