I started a birthday tradition when my oldest daughter was three.On your birthday, you get to "order" your birthday cake, ice cream, and birthday meal. Five years ago, I married Bill. Two weeks before celebrating his first birthday with me, I explained the birthday tradition to Bill. He LOVED the idea.
Hubby's Birthday Wish
This year he told me he wanted a Cocoa Dyno-Bites treat cake, stacked up and a steak. Just steak. No side dishes. Just a rare steak and a stacked, Cocoa Dyno-Bites treat cake. Steak and chocolate. Does this sound like someone you know?
I created a Triple Chocolate Dyno-Bites Treat Cake just for my handsome hubby! The trio of chocolate is: the Cocoa Dyno-Bites cereal, milk chocolate chips, and semi-sweet chocolate ganache as a filling and frosting. An additional ingredient, was caramel flavoring in the melted marshmallows. How does this sound? Just one more flavor treat. Oh, I forgot to tell you the ice cream flavor that is going to sit beside each slice of treat cake - Rocky Road! Does life get any better for a foodie?
Now, let me share how I created this cake.
- 12 cups of Cocoa Dyno-Bites Cereal
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 2- 10 oz. bags miniature marshmallow
- 1 tsp. caramel flavoring
- 1-12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Cereal Treat Directions
NOTE: I have a 900 watt microwave. For larger microwaves, you will need to adjust your microwave increments to a shorter period of time.
- Grease two - 9 inch by 2 inch square cake pans; set aside
- Place 1/4 cup butter into a large, microwaveable bowl
- Microwave for 15 - 30 seconds, or until melted
- Add 1- 10 oz. bag of marshmallows and stir until coated with butter
- Microwave the buttered marshmallows for 1 minute. Stir until marshmallows are melted and smooth. If necessary microwave for an additional 15-10 second.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of caramel flavoring and stir until blended
- Add 6 cups of cereal to the melted marshmallow mixture and stir with a heavy spoon until the marshmallow mixture is evenly blended with the cereal.
- Cereal mixture should be warm, but not hot. You do not want to melt the chocolate chips. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips into the cereal/marshmallow mixture
- Stir until chips are blended into the mixture.
- Spoon the entire bowl of treat mix into one of the cake pans.
- Butter your hands well and press the cereal treat mixture firmly into the pan until you have an even layer of firmly packed cereal mixture.
- Repeat the above 10 steps to make a second batch of cereal treat mix
- Open the can of sweetened condensed milk and pour it into a quart size, microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave the milk for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir with a spoon.
- Repeat the above step until the sweetened condensed milk is warm, but not hot.
- Pour the 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips into the warm sweetened condensed milk. Let the chips sit in the warm milk for about 10-15 seconds
- Stir with a spoon until the chips are melted and the mixture is thick and glossy. If necessary, microwave an additional 15 seconds to completely melt the chocolate chips.
- Remove the cereal treats from one of the pans. I turned mine upside down over a platter, tapped on the cake pan bottom, and the layer of treats released from the pan.
- Spoon about half of the chocolate ganache onto the cereal treat layer and spread with wide strokes across the treat layer.
- Put the second layer of cereal treats on top of the ganache. Repeat the above step with the second layer
The ganache will be dry to a light touch very quickly.I put my treat cake in the refrigerator overnight.
|Two layers of cereal treats filled and topped with chocolate ganache made from semi-sweet chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk.|
Enjoy some homemade happiness on a plate AND have a cup of hot coffee ready to sip with this "cake."