Truth time: Some of my attempts to create a new recipe do not work out. This morning was one of those days. Prepare to read about a Bonham Business Breakfast idea that did not create ANY eye appeal.
The Problem - No Sweetener
Bill loves a big bowl of buttery oatmeal that is sweetened with brown sugar. My bowl of oatmeal had no butter and no sugar. Gruel-like is the best description. Why? I forgot to buy my sweetener. What was I going to do? Logical thinking is hard for me in the morning. Especially before I consume at least two cups of coffee.
Birth of a Solution or My Best Morning Thinking
- Hmmm....grape jam would make it sweet. And peanut butter would taste great with the grape jam. Eagerly, I reached into the refrigerator for the jar of grape jam. The jar of creamy peanut butter was next.
- How much was I going to use? Two parts jam to one part peanut butter would sweeten the oatmeal and the peanut butter.
- Two rounded Tbsp. of grape jam went into the bowl with the cup of oatmeal and two cups of water. Yes, I super size my morning oatmeal.
- One generous Tbsp. of creamy peanut butter followed.
- The bowl of oats, jam, and peanut butter went into the microwave for three minutes.
- I removed the bowl from the microwave and stirred to blend the melting jam and peanut butter.
- The normal oatmeal color changed into...........pale gray. Great that sure looks yummy.
- Thinking it would look better after completing the cooking time, I placed the bowl back into the microwave.
- Two minutes later, I removed the bowl and stirred it well. Pale gray became grayier. At least I could smell the peanut butter.
- Taste test.....barely discernible grape flavor, nice peanut butter flavor, no sweetness.
Brown sugar sweetened the oatmeal. I do eat my almost failed dishes. The grayish, peanut butter flavored oatmeal was much better with 2 Tbsp. of packed brown sugar.
Note to Self:
Stick with fruit flavored oatmeals. When hungry for PB&J, make a peanut butter and jam sandwich.