Monday, August 11, 2014

Not Quite A Fail - PB&J Oatmeal

You are used to reading food blog posts that feature wonderful,carefully tested recipes. What about the food ideas that do not work out? Surely adventurous home cooks and bloggers have tried an idea that does not work.

Truth time: Some of my attempts to create a new recipe do not work out. This morning was one of those days. Prepare to read about a Bonham Business Breakfast idea that did not create ANY eye appeal.

The Problem - No Sweetener
Bill loves a big bowl of buttery oatmeal that is sweetened with brown sugar. My bowl of oatmeal had no butter and no sugar. Gruel-like is the best description. Why? I forgot to buy my sweetener. What was I going to do? Logical thinking is hard for me in the morning. Especially before I consume at least two cups of coffee.

Birth of a Solution or My Best Morning Thinking

  • Hmmm....grape jam would make it sweet. And peanut butter would taste great with the grape jam. Eagerly, I reached into the refrigerator for the jar of grape jam. The jar of creamy peanut butter was next. 
  • How much was I going to use? Two parts jam to one part peanut butter would sweeten the oatmeal and the peanut butter. 
  • Two rounded Tbsp. of grape jam went into the bowl with the cup of oatmeal and two cups of water. Yes, I super size my morning oatmeal.
  • One generous Tbsp. of creamy peanut butter followed.
  • The bowl of oats, jam, and peanut butter went into the microwave for three minutes. 
  • I removed the bowl from the microwave and stirred to blend the melting jam and peanut butter.
  • The normal oatmeal color changed into...........pale gray. Great that sure looks yummy.
  • Thinking it would look better after completing the cooking time, I placed the bowl back into the microwave.
  • Two minutes later, I removed the bowl and stirred it well. Pale gray became grayier. At least I could smell the peanut butter.
  • Taste test.....barely discernible grape flavor, nice peanut butter flavor,  no sweetness.
What Now?
Brown sugar sweetened the oatmeal. I do eat my almost failed dishes. The grayish, peanut butter flavored oatmeal was much better with 2 Tbsp. of packed brown sugar. 

Note to Self:
Stick with fruit flavored oatmeals. When hungry for PB&J, make a peanut butter and jam sandwich. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB