|Mixed Fruit Crisp with Almond Bark Topping- Sliced and Ready to Serve|
Every May, I swear I am going to stay on my work schedule over summer break. However, by July I have returned to being a night owl - watching late night movies and sleeping in until nine. Now it is August and my night owl ways cannot continue. Summer break is over! Back to school week means quick and easy recipes are being cooked in the Bonham kitchen.
My work routine is tiring me out! No more late night movies and sleeping late! Time to use my quick and easy Mixed Fruit Crisp that is so simple to make that children can make it. Kids love to bake! Let your back to school week be a little easier. Let the kids make Mixed Fruit Crisp for an after school snack, or dessert. Serve cool with vanilla almond bark topping. OR warm with vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients for Fruit Crisp
- 29 oz. can fruit cocktail, drained
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Oat Blenders cereal, regular or with almonds
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter,softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Grease a 9" round cake pan with shortening, or spray with pan coat.
- Pour the drained fruit in the cake pan and spread into a level layer.
|Drained Fruit Mix Arranged in a 9" Cake Pan|
- Place the remaining ingredients into a one quart bowl. Combine until the margarine or butter is no longer in lumps and the mixture is forming lumps, or large crumbs.
|Ready to Mix|
|I just reach in with my clean, ring free hand and literally mix the ingredients together by hand. Children love mixing the topping together like this. Two or three minutes of mixing and the topping is ready to sprinkle on top of the fruit.|
|Before Baking: Well Combined Topping Sprinkled Across the Mixed Fruit|
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake about 30 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- The topping should be golden brown.
|After Baking: Piping Hot and Golden Brown|
- Cool the mixed fruit crisp completely.
- Drizzle with melted, vanilla almond bark.
- Let the almond bark dry for five to ten minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- OR Serve warm with ice cream.
I like to drizzle melted, white almond bark across the cool crisp for an easy decorative topping.
Quick and Easy Topping
- Put one square of almond bark from a 24 oz. package into a zip top snack size bag.
- Close the bag.
- Microwave for 30 sec. and squeeze bag gently
- Microwave another 30 seconds and squeeze the bag gently to remove any remaining lumps.
|Melted Almond Bark in a Zip Top Snack Size Bag|
- Snip off a bottom corner of the snack bag.
- Drizzle the melted topping across the top of the mixed fruit honey oat crisp.