Unsweetened applesauce is the secret ingredient that makes my muffins moist and low in fat. For healthier muffins and cakes, you can substitute unsweetened applesauce for up to half of the oil that most recipes call for. Canola oil is a heart healthy oil. Canola oil is what I keep on the pantry shelf for baking up some homemade,and heart healthy, happiness on a plate.
Low Fat Oatmeal Raisin Muffins Recipe
Yield - one dozen muffins
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup quick oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 cupcake liners
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit Using an oven thermometer is a great idea for knowing the exact temperature of your oven. My oven does not regulate well. It is usually twenty-five degrees hotter than the temperature I set it for!
- Place cupcake liners in the cups of a regular size cupcake pan.
- Crack egg into a medium size bowl and beat until white and yolk is combined.
- Add milk, applesauce, and canola oil to the beaten egg and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir just until all ingredients are blended. Lumps are okay.
- Place about one and a half tablespoons of batter into each cupcake liner.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove pan of muffins from the oven.
- Put the pan on a cooling rack and cool the muffins.