|Looks like pizza, but it has a pasta crust!|
However, this casserole won him over because the bottom layer is a tender, angel hair pasta "crust" topped with pizza toppings. A perfect bite contains an even amount of the pizza toppings and the angel hair pasta.
Wow, what a way to make your mouth happy!
Customize this recipe to make your favorite pizza in a casserole!
Simply substitute a pound of your favorite meat, or a combination of meats. The possibilities are endless.
This recipe can be downsized from a 13" x 9" pan to a 9" round or square pan. Simply use half of each listed ingredient.
- 8 oz. angel hair pasta, broken into thirds and cooked
- 1 pound ground chuck or sirloin
- 3-4 oz. pepperoni slices
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 - 24 oz. can spaghetti/pasta sauce
- 6.5 oz. can mushrooms, drained or 6 oz. of fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 oz. of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, about 1/2 cup
- Grease your casserole pan. Set aside.
- Break 8 oz. of angel hair pasta into thirds. Place in salted, boiling water. Turn heat down to simmer and cook pasta for five minutes.
- Pour half of the pasta sauce into the greased casserole pan.
- Drain the pasta and place it in the casserole pan.
- Spread the pasta into a layer.
- Layer the remaining sauce over the pasta.
- Place the ground chuck and onion in a skillet. If using fresh sliced mushrooms, add them now.
- Begin to brown over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the beef is about half way done, sprinkle the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper over the meat and onions. Using a spatula, work the seasoning into the meat and onions.
- When the beef is almost done, add the drained mushroom slices to the skillet.
- Stir briefly with the spatula until the mixture is well blended.
- Drain excess grease from the skillet.
- Layer the meat mixture over the sauce in the casserole dish.
Pepperoni can be mixed into the meat mixture, or placed on top of the cheese layer.
I prefer having in on top of the cheese layer as shown in the first picture.
- Put cheeses on top of meat mixture
- Top the cheese with pepperoni slices as shown in the first picture.
- Cover with foil.
- Large Batch: Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes; Small Batch: Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes
- Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.