Monday, December 7, 2015

Baking Cupcakes in a Half Sheet Cake Pan

In October, I told my fellow Christmas committee members I would bring a half sheet cake to the Christmas party. 

Now, flash forward to the Friday before the party in December. 

  • I worked at my pay-the-bills job all day Friday. 
  • I stopped at the grocery store and bought three cake mixes for the half sheet cake. 
  • Upon arriving at home, I started loading Christmas party items into my car. 
  • Making thirty centerpieces for the party tables was my next task. 
  • At midnight, I finished the centerpieces. 
This was my "I got myself into trouble" moment; the fruit of procrastination. 

No way was a half sheet cake going to get made. While tucking myself into bed beside my snoring husband, I decided I would make Christmas wreath cupcakes five hours later. 

At 5:00 A.M. ,the half sheet cake pan was sitting where I had left it at midnight, on the stove top. Somewhere between preheating the oven and placing the aluminum foil cupcake liners on the counter, I had a great idea, or at least I think it is a great idea. I could put the sturdy, aluminum foil liners into the sheet cake pan. No messing with taking cupcakes out of the cupcake pan! Yah!
What a time saver! 
First, I baked two dozen cupcakes in 17 minutes. Next, the cupcakes cooled in the same pan for 20 minutes. While the cupcakes cooled, I whipped up a batch of buttercream frosting. Finally, I began decorating the wreath cupcakes with a base coat of white frosting. Not one cupcake had to be pried out of a cupcake tin, or ended up upside down on a tray! 
As I applied the final touch, sprinkles, the excess was caught in the bottom of the cake pan. Due to the cake pan sides, not one sprinkle ended up on the table top. Wow, another benefit from using the half sheet cake pan!

In my opinion, using the heavier aluminum foil cupcake liners and baking the filled cupcakes in my half sheet cake pan is as easy as making a one dish casserole!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB