Tangy cranberries, tropical bananas, aromatic warmth from a nutmeg/cinnamon blend, and hints of salty sweet oats make this muffin a pleasure to eat for breakfast.
Yield: One Dozen
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup frozen fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Pan coat spray, or shortening
NOTE: You may use self-rising flour in this recipe. However, do not add baking powder or salt if you use self-rising flour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mash two or three ripe bananas in a small bowl and set aside
- Put one cup of frozen cranberries into a mini-food chopper, or food processor. Pulse until the cranberries are in small pieces. Remove the chopper or processor container and place it in the freezer until you are ready to add the cranberries. Do not let the cranberries thaw.
- Crack egg into your quart or quart and a half bowl.
- Add milk and oil to the bowl and beat until mixed will.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir with a large mixing spoon until the ingredients are barely blended. The batter will be thick. Do not add any more liquid to the batter.
- Add the mashed bananas and chopped cranberries to the bowl.
- Gently fold the fruit into the batter with the large mixing spoon. The batter does not have to be completely smooth. Lumps are okay.
- Lightly spray the inside bottoms of each cupcake pan with pan coat spray, or shortening.
- Using a large mixing/serving spoon, Spoon 1 spoonful of batter into the cupcake pan for each muffin until the batter is gone.
- Bake the muffins until they are golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
My muffins bake in 25 minutes. However, my oven is nice and hot when I put the pan into the oven.
- Gently remove each muffin from the pan and cool on a cooling rack. I like to use a tablespoon or soup spoon to remove the muffins.
Now it is time to eat some homemade happiness on a plate!