Bill is not a fan of casseroles. However, this casserole won him over because the top layer is a hamburger, pepperoni, mushroom, and onion pizza. The bottom layer is a tender, angel hair pasta "crust".
My perfect bite contained an even amount of pizza layer and angel hair pasta. Wow, was my mouth happy!
Customize this recipe to make your favorite pizza in a casserole! Simply substitute a pound of your favorite meat, or a combination of meats. Make a supreme pizza by adding green peppers and black olives to your seasoned meat and onion mixture. The possibilities are endless.
8 oz. angel hair pasta, broken into thirds and cooked
1 pound ground chuck or sirloin
3-4 oz. pepperoni slices
1/3 cup diced onion
1 24 oz. can pasta sauce
6.5 oz can mushrooms, drained
1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
8 oz. of shredded mozzarella cheese
2 oz. Parmesan cheese, about 1/2 cup
- Grease a 9"x13" casserole pan. Set aside.
- Break 8 oz. of angel hair pasta into thirds. Place in boiling water. Turn heat down to simmer and cook pasta for five minutes. Drain the pasta and place it in the greased casserole pan. Spread the pasta into a layer.
- Layer the can of pasta sauce over the pasta.
- Place the ground chuck and onion in a skillet. Begin to brown over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the beef is about half way done, sprinkle the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper over the meat and onions. Work the seasoning into the meat and onions with a spatula. Work = stirring in with a spatula
- When the beef is almost done, add the mushrooms and pepperoni slices to the skillet. Stir briefly with a spatula until the mixture is well blended. Drain excess grease from the skillet.
- Layer the meat mixture over the sauce in the casserole dish.
- Put cheeses on top of meat mixture.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.