Hectic days and busy evenings have me searching for quick and simple recipes.
Yogurt flatbread is made with five basics from my pantry.
1. AP flour (all purpose)
2. baking soda
4. plain yogurt
5. canola oil
This recipe is an official, pantry style recipe that makes eight rounds of flatbread. The flatbread rounds are then divided into thirds. Three times eight is.... twenty-four! That's right, twenty-four pieces of golden brown, crisp edged, homemade happiness on a plate!
Serve with hummus dip, marinara sauce, butter, jam, or use a whole round for pizza!
Better yet, in my opinion, is brushing the dough with melted garlic butter, sprinkle with mozzarella,or provel cheese, and bake until the cheese is bubbly.
Okay, I have to stop writing now because I am about to have a cheesy bread craving.
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt Use a dry measuring cup
- warm water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 1/3 cup of plain yogurt into a one cup liquid measuring cup.
- Add warm water to measure 3/4 of a cup.
- Stir until well blended.
- Pour vegetable oil on top of the yogurt water until the cup level is at 1 cup. Set aside.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a one quart bowl.
- Add the yogurt water and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients.
- Stir with large spoon until the ingredients begin to form a ball a dough.
- Knead the dough for about 30 to 60 seconds.
- The dough should feel slightly elastic and smooth.
- Divide dough into eight equal balls and place back into bowl.
- Cover the bowl with a towel.
- Place a ball of dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Flatten by hand into a round or oval shape.
- Roll with a roller to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place the round on an ungreased baking sheet.
|Rolled flatbread ready to have lines traced into each round, dividing them into thirds|
Continue this procedure with each ball of dough.
- Lightly mark each flatbread into thirds with a knife. Do not cut through the dough, just trace light lines so the bread can be easily divided after baking.
|Baked flatbread showing the lightly marked dividing lines.|
Place baking sheet(s) into the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the flatbreads are golden brown. See picture.