Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Start With a Box Orange Sandwich Cookies


Oh my gosh! I just ate an orangesicle sandwich cookie that I made for dessert. Crisp, tender, buttery, creamy orange exploded the minute I bit into my cookie and started to chew. Then, another orange explosion rocked my ecstatic taste buds  when I encountered the sweet candy bits that are like hidden flavor treasure inside each cookie. 

You are not going to believe this - BUT I used a boxed cookie mix.  However, I am NOT abandoning my "pantry-style, make it from scratch" attitude. The boxed cookie mix is another gift given to me by my friend who is moving out of state.

As I was looking through the pantry shelves for a dessert inspiration, I noticed a lone box of orangesicle cookie mix. Curious to see what was needed to make the cookies, I picked up the box and read the directions. Guess what? I only had to add two ingredients, a stick of butter and 1 large egg. Cookie making doesn't get any easier than that. 1 stick of cold  butter was soon on the counter to begin softening at room temperature.

After supper was over and the dishes were washed, I turned on the oven to begin preheating the oven to 375°F. Next, the cookie mix was turned into cookie batter by stirring in 1 stick of softened butter and 1 large egg. The directions said to use a teaspoon to measure the batter, but I never make cookies that small. Never. Ever. 

Instead, I used my cookie scoop, which holds 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of cookie dough when leveled off.Needless to say, my way of measuring cookie dough made 22 single cookies and that turned into 11 sandwich cookies.

Pick Your Filling
My cookie filling is homemade butter cream fondant that I had left over from decorating a cake. However, if you do not have the time to make the fondant, I have a really quick and tasty copy cat oreo cookie filling recipe that I found over at Cookies and Cups. I have used this filling to fill cupcakes, dip, and cracker spread. 

copy cat oreo cookie filling recipe                                         Click HERE

homemade butter cream fondant recipe                              Click HERE      


Start With a Box Orange Sandwich Cookies

1 box of Pillsbury Orangesicle Cookie Mix 
1 stick of butter, softened
1 large egg

Directions

  1. Mix and bake cookies according to package directions. 
  2. Cool cookies on a wire cooling rack until completely cool.
  3. Assemble sandwich cookies
  4. While cookies are cooling, decide on your filling and whip up a batch of fondant, or copy cat oreo cookie filling. 
To make these cookies REALLY quick, use store bought frosting for your filling.

Fondant Filling

  • Roll fondant to desired thickness and cut out circles of fondant that are slightly smaller than the cookie. 
Assembling a Sandwich Cookie
  • Pick up a cookie and turn it upside down, bottom up.
  • Gently press the fondant circle onto the cookie bottom. 
  • Place another cookie, bottom side toward the fondant, on top of the fondant. 
  • You now have your first sandwich cookie assembled.

Copy Cat Oreo Cookie Filling  
Time to Assemble Ingredients and Mix: 10-15 minutes

  • Follow above directions for assembling a sandwich cookie, except smear on some yummy cookie filling until you have as much filling as you want.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB