Saturday, February 7, 2015

Southwest Seasoning Blend


Make your own Southwest Seasoning Blend! 

Sprinkle it on steaks, sprinkle it in your scrambled eggs,use it for tacos, add a teaspoon or two to mac and cheese, or add it to Greek yogurt. 

The possibilities are endless! I love to mix it with leftover, shredded roast beef to make shredded beef tacos! Yum!

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon of your favorite chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or rainbow peppercorn mix (my fave)
A spicy option - add 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Directions

  • Measure spices into a small bowl
  • mix with a small whisk, or spoon, until blended. 
  • At this point, I put the blend into a labeled, zip top snack bag for storage.

Using the Southwest Spice Blend

I add two to three teaspoons of seasoning per pound of meat. 

However, the first time I used the seasoning blend I started with one teaspoon, stirred the seasoning in, and tasted the meat. I repeated these steps until I was happy with the flavor.

You might like less seasoning, or more seasoning. Just customize the amount for your family.

After using my homemade Southwest Seasoning Blend, I became bolder and started adding it to cheese quesadillas, scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, cream cheese, and Greek yogurt. I love the cumin chili flavor! 

Yield: about 3 Tablespoons
You could easily double or triple this recipe if you want to make a larger batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB