No dough here, just whip together a batter and you are ready to make your own tortillas!
I love putting a teaspoon of mild taco sauce and shredded Colby Jack cheese on a tortilla, folding it in half, and grilling it until the cheese just begins to melt and get gooey.
Seriously good food that is simple to make. One taste of a homemade tortilla and you will never grab a bag of prepackaged ones again
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- Stir briefly to blend
- Add water and egg.
- Beat until smooth.
- Heat an eight-inch skillet over medium low heat until hot.
- Grease lightly with canola oil, or spray with pan coat.
- Pour not quite ½ cup of batter into the skillet and immediately tilt the skillet until the batter forms a thin tortilla.
- Cook the tortilla until dry around the edge, about two minutes.
- Turn the tortilla over and cook the other side until it bubbles and browns.
Yield: five eight-inch tortillas