Topped with tangy Colby Jack cheese, layered with fried, slightly sweet potato slices, the porkalicious flavor of mild country-style sausage and held together with eggs. Breakfast doesn't get any better than this. As far as I am concerned, this dish is the ultimate breakfast comfort food.
- 1 pound mild, bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion, optional
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise into 1/8" rounds (I use a mandoline slicer)
I do not add salt to this dish. Sausage is salty and adds enough flavor for me. However, if you absolutely must add salt - use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place 2 Tbsp. of butter in a 10 inch quiche pan or deep dish pie pan. Place pan in the preheated oven until the butter is melted. Remove pan from the oven and set aside.
- Put 1 Tbsp of canola oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Put sliced potatoes in skillet and cover tightly. Cook for about 7-10 minutes. Using a spatula, gently turn the potato slices. Then, replace the lid on the skillet and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place sausage in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown. Crumble and drain in a colander.
- Spread browned sausage into the bottom of your quiche or deep dish pie pan.
- Layer cooked potato slices on top of the crumbled sausage.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with milk, garlic powder,and pepper. Pour over layered sausage and potatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 - 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of Colby Jack cheese.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then cut into slices.