Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Gotta Have That Sausage Gravy, Baby

Bob Evans on Urbanspoon
Love That Bob Evans Gravy

Bill loves Bob Evans sausage gravy and biscuits. Since we live seventy miles from the nearest Bob Evans restaurant, my husband can spot a Bob Evans sign from a mile away. I kid you not. We drove to St. Louis on business. When we drove through Valley Park, my husband spied the Bob Evans sign, but didn't say anything. Once we were done with our business and traveling home on I-44, he said,"Think you can find that Bob Evans restaurant we passed ?" What could I do? I said yes. I love breakfast as much as Bill loves Bob Evans sausage gravy and biscuits. I am more than happy to eat at an establishment that serves breakfast from open to close.

Country Biscuit Breakfast

At the restaurant, we looked at the menus. Even though we knew what we wanted, we still followed the ritual of looking at the laminated menus. Bill ordered his classic item - two biscuits with sausage gravy. I ordered the Country Biscuit Breakfast, minus the egg, and with home fries. In my mind, there is nothing better than a biscuit and home fries, accompanied by creamy country gravy, and lightly sprinkled with shredded, cheddar cheese. (My mouth is watering just thinking about it.)

The Food and Service

The food arrived in good time, but I knew I was in trouble when my server offered to replace the home fries before placing my plate on the table. Sure enough, the home fries were fried to a nice, dark brown color. Translation: burnt to a crisp. Never should have left the kitchen. After asking for a replacement, I watched Bill eat and I nibbled at my breakfast feast, but I don't like to eat it without the home fries. No home fries appeared. Bill wasn't talking cause he was busy savoring his perfectly cooked sausage gravy and smothered biscuits. Finally, Bill stopped the server, who showed surprise at forgetting about the side order. However, the saucer of home fries were brought to me hot and golden. Perfect. The rest of my meal was yummalicious. The flaky, tender biscuit was perfect with the creamy, perfectly seasoned, country gravy, melted cheddar and nicely fried cubes of home fries.



The Drinks

Bill ordered a strawberry banana smoothie, but left most of it. He said it was due to the bland flavor or lack of flavor. He won't order it again. I believed him and didn't taste it. My drink was water, so that was just fine.

Three Quarters Happy

Overall, we were happy with our meal. The cashier did take a dollar off the total cost of our meal after Bill explained what had happened with the home fries. We didn't want a free meal or a discount. We just want the cook or cooks to know NOT to send out overcooked, inedible food to customers. Take pride in the food you prepare. Servers want to make customers happy, but don't want problems with coworkers. I understand that. However, you never know who you are serving food to. Our server had no idea I write a blog with an occasional restaurant review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB