Monday, September 9, 2013

Cake Mix Waffle Cookies

Cake mix was on sale this week for $1.19. I bought two boxes of chocolate fudge cake mix because I want to make cake mix waffle cookies to compare with my "made from scratch" chocolate waffle cookies. Bill is my official taste tester because he has eaten my homemade version several times this summer. After supper, I put my experiment into action.

  • I turned on the electric waffle iron to preheat and sprayed it with canola oil.
  • Then, following the cake mix directions I prepared a bowl full of chocolate fudge batter.
  • Carefully, I dipped about two thirds of a cup of batter into the center of the hot waffle iron and closed it.
  • Three minutes later, the waffle was ready to remove.
  • Using a fork, I had to carefully peel the baked waffle out of the iron.
  • It was a little bit tricky getting the soft, somewhat thin, flexible disc from the hot iron to the nearby cooling rack.
  • Then I lightly sprayed the waffle iron, dipped two thirds of a cup of batter into the center of the waffle iron, closed the lid, and cooked for three minutes before removing the waffle to a cooling rack. I repeated this procedure until all the batter was gone.
Each cooled waffle was sprinkled with powdered sugar and divided into four quarters, or wedges, before I put the wedges into my cookie jar.

The most noticeable difference between cake mix waffles and my homemade chocolate waffles is texture. The cake mix waffles were very soft and difficult to remove from the waffle iron. Next time I try this, I am not going to use the full amount of liquid called for by the cake mix. An update will be coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB