Monday, December 12, 2016

Redeemed Riders 2016 All-Buttercream Christmas Party Cake

At the Christmas party, 
our friends and CMA family gathered around the cake table to look at the holiday cake. As a hobby baker, I appreciate the many compliments that the decorated cake received. Yes, in my opinion, the compliments paid for the hours I spent on making, baking, and decorating the party cake.  
The Christmas Party Cake
A two layer cake that is half white cake, half devils food chocolate with a strawberry buttercream filling. Five rows of petals and a ruffled border decorate the cake sides. 
My first time piping greenery onto a cake. 
With a #104 petal tip, I made pine cone roses and rose leaves. Other decorator tips that I used were a #233 grass tip for the pine needles and a #5 piping tip for the trios of small red berries. 
Frosting Colors
For the rose leaves and pine needles, I used Wilton leaf green, Wilton copper, Wilton brown,and a drop of Americolor black gel food coloring to achieve the various colors. A mix of Wilton burgundy and Americolor super red, gel food coloring was used for the ruffle border, side petals, berries, and lettering. 


Tutorial Videos for the Visual Learner
I am a visual learner, which means video tutorials are the perfect way for me to learn new piping techniques. There are several tutorials that I have watched multiple times before practicing the demonstrated techniques that I used on this cake and I want to share that information with you.
  1. Liz Larson's Elk and Pinecone Cake - https://youtu.be/PZAUsVRpxQw
  2. Olga Zaytseva's BC Red Roses Wreath Cake - https://youtu.be/_mxUIt-t2MA
  3. Olga Zaytseva's BC English Roses Wreath Cake - https://youtu.be/kvae1rb1ZS0
  4. Brigitte Fultz's Petal Technique - https://youtu.be/WASVWn4nN6w
Dare to challenge yourself to become a better cake decorator! Honestly, you can be a self-taught cake decorator by watching these videos and practicing the techniques you see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB