I learned how to cook beaten eggs in a microwave from a shipmate.
Before I learned how to do this, cheesy breakfast biscuits were already one of my favorite things to eat and I was buying them at fast food restaurants.
After my shipmate showed me this cooking method, I started making cheesy breakfast sandwiches in the barracks because all I needed was a toaster oven and a small microwave. My room was furnished with a dorm-size refrigerator.
Cheesy Bacon and Egg Sandwich Recipe
Cooking time: 25 minutes Yield: 1 sandwich
Directions for Cooking Bacon for One Sandwich
- Remove your toaster oven tray
- Toast two slices of bread using the toaster function for your toaster oven using the manufacturer's directions.
- Set the two slices of toast aside until you are ready to assemble your cheesy bacon and egg sandwich.
- Preheat toaster oven to 325°F
- Arrange two slices of bacon in the toaster oven tray
- Place tray of bacon into the toaster oven
|Cooking Tip: Cook 6 slices of bacon. Refrigerate or freeze the extra bacon slices so you can make your next two sandwiches in 5 minutes|
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown
- Carefully remove the hot tray of bacon from the toaster oven
- Place the cooked bacon strips on a folded paper towel to drain
- Crack two large eggs into a microwaveable, sandwich container.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of water
- Beat the eggs and water with a fork until well blended
|After 30 seconds in a 900 watt microwave|
- Place the egg mixture into your microwave and cook for 30 seconds
- Rotate the container a half turn
|After an additional 30 seconds in a 900 watt microwave|
- Cook for an additional 30 seconds
- Place desired amount of cheese on top of cooked eggs.
- Set the container lid on top of the container, but Do Not Seal
- Let the covered container of eggs and cheese sit for one minute
- Remove the lid
- Spread your desired condiment onto your toast. I like to use Dijon mustard, or mayonnaise. Bill likes to spread butter on the hot toast
- Place the cooked cheesy eggs onto a piece of toast.
- Cut your drained bacon slices in half, crosswise.
- Put the bacon slices on top of the cheesy eggs See the picture below
- Top with the second slice of toast
- Slice into halves, quarters, or leave whole
Enjoy your homemade happiness on a plate!
You can save about $180 dollars a year
by making your own breakfast sandwiches
instead of buying them!Purchasing fast food breakfast biscuits or sandwiches can be quite expensive. Especially if you are buying them twice a week.
One bacon, egg and cheese biscuit, at a nationally know chain, is $2.99 plus .08 cents tax for a total of $3.07. If you eat two bacon, egg and cheese biscuits a week, in three weeks you will have spent $18.42 for six breakfast biscuits.
In contrast, the ingredients for about six bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches cost around $8.
Below is a price breakdown for the ingredients in US dollars and cents.
1 20 oz. loaf of bread 1.39
7-8 oz. of cheese 1.79
16 oz. of bacon 2.99
1 dozen eggs 1.66
Total cost $7.83 Total savings about $10.42 every 3 weeks
In a year, your savings will add up to $180.27