Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Chocolate Chip Oat Crispy Cookies


I love Cocoa Dyno-Bite cereal.  I eat it for breakfast, for a quick chocolate fix , and for a late night snack. Yep, I just love my crispy cocoa cereal that turns the white milk into chocolate milk. Yum! No other cocoa cereal will do for this woman.

So what does my love for cocoa dyno bites have to do with chocolate chip oat crispy cookies? Well, cocoa dyno-bites are the not-so-secret, secret ingredient in my cookies. I see your eyebrows heading for your hairline. Stop it!  It shouldn't surprise you that I am putting cereal in an oatmeal cookie. 

I found a lovely recipe over at Sweet Peas and Saffron for Butterscotch Oatmeal Rice Krispie Cookies. However, the hubby isn't all that crazy about butterscotch. I decided to adapt the recipe by substituting chocolate chips AND cocoa dyno-bites cereal. 

These tasty cookies have a little snap on the outside, a tender, cookie dough quality in the centers, and just get better as they sit in the cookie jar.

I like dark chocolate and the semi-sweet chocolate snuggled in a buttery, oaty nest of semi-sweet cookie is my idea of pantry-style cookie perfection. Love makin' homemade happiness on a plate!

We decided that these cookies are even better on the second day. I can't tell you anything about day three because........the cookies were gone.



Chocolate Chip Oat Crispy Cookies
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies

Ingredients
2¼ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, or 2 medium eggs and 1 egg white
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 
2 cups Cocoa Dyno-Bites

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  • Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  • In a one quart bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and oatmeal.
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. 
  • Add in the vanilla and eggs until well combined.
  • Gently stir in the chocolate chips and Cocoa Dyno-Bites with a large spoon, or spatula
  • Scoop out dough and place on the lined baking sheet. Flatten slightly before baking.
Left side - scoop of cookie dough
Right side - slightly flattened cookie dough
Note: My cookie scoop holds about 2 level Tablespoons, or 1/8 cup. 
  • Bake for about seven minutes,or until lightly golden on the edges. Do not over bake. You want them slightly soft and they will firm up as they cool.
  • Cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Bill and I ate warm cookies and cold cookies. They are yummy both ways. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB