Caramel apples were my inspiration for these marshmallow cereal squares! Apple flavored cereal rings, caramel and vanilla marshmallows, and homemade caramel drizzle combine wonderfully well to recreate the flavors found in a caramel apple! The caramel drizzle not only coats the top of these cereal bars, but it forms layers of caramel throughout the double caramel apple treats. Plus, these caramel apple treats are ready to eat in about an hour and ten minutes.
Apple Treat Ingredients Time: about 20 minutes
7 cups of apple flavored cereal rings
10 oz. bag of caramel and vanilla marshmallows
4 Tbsp. butter, or margarineDirections
- Lightly coat the inside a 13" x 9" baking dish, or cake pan with butter, or margarine and set it aside.
- Place butter, or margarine in a microwave safe, two and a half quart bowl.
- Microwave for 15 seconds and stir until melted. If necessary, microwave an additional 10-15 seconds.
- Put the caramel and vanilla marshmallows into the bowl and stir until the marshmallows are coated.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and stir for a minute or two.
- Microwave for an additional 15 seconds and stir until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.If necessary microwave for another 15 seconds.
- Stir the apple flavored cereal rings into the marshmallow mixture until the cereal rings are coated evenly.
- Spoon the coated apple rings into the 13" x 9" baking dish and level the mixture. Using your clean, buttered hands, gently press the cereal treat mixture down into the pan until it is packed into a uniform layer.
- Set aside and begin making the caramel drizzle.
Caramel Drizzle Ingredients Time: about 20 minutes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 3 Tbsp. butter, or margarine
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Put brown sugar, flour, milk, and butter in an eight inch sauce pan.
- Stir until mixed fairly well.
- Cook over medium to medium high heat stirring occasionally until the caramel mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Boil for a minute and a half.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and cool for five minutes.
- Stir the caramel mixture until it begins to thicken.
- Add the vanilla to the caramel mixture and beat for about a minute and a half. The mixture should have the consistency of thick syrup.
- Drizzle across the top of the caramel apple treats using a zig-zag motion.
- Let the pan of double caramel apple treats set for at least thirty minutes before trying to slice the treats. I have found that a fine tooth, serrated knife slices cereal treats with ease and doesn't crush the cereal.
- After thirty minutes you can cut the cereal treats into squares and enjoy eating your treats. The bottoms will still be a little sticky, but the treats can be handled.
Total time: about an hour and ten minutes