Sunday, November 3, 2013

MYO Cranberry Sauce, Sweet Potatoes, and Green Bean Casserole - My Family's Thanksgiving Favorites


The holidays are about to commence and I am so excited! Yesterday, my shopping list contained the following items to buy:
  • 12-15 pound turkey
  • cranberries
  • orange juice
  • sweet potatoes
  • crushed pineapple
  • green beans, canned
  • french fried onions
  • mushroom soup
  • soy sauce

Ruby red, whole berry cranberry sauce with orange juice is a family favorite. I found the recipe on a bag of cranberries in 1989 and have been making this amazingly simple dish ever since.

Another side dish is candied sweet potatoes with pineapple. I simmer the sweet potatoes until they are just fork tender. The hot sweet potatoes are placed into a colander to cool until I can peel and then slice them. Seriously, you need to try adding crushed pineapple to your favorite recipe. My daughter, Ashley always wants to make this dish.

Our traditional family feast will also include green bean casserole with french fried onions. The recipe is on the french-fried onion can or in any women's magazine. The addition of soy sauce is a fairly new ingredient to the recipe, but it did add another layer of flavor to this wonderful casserole dish.

These traditional favorites are being made by four generations of women in my family. My granddaughters are learning to make them now. When the lone grandson is older, he will begin to learn to make these dishes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB