Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cookin' Up Caramel Candy with Sallee B.

I have been meaning to get the recipe for caramel candy to you this week, but it is the last week of school. By the time I get home, I am wiped out! Thank goodness today is Saturday. I actually slept til six. Doesn't sound like I slept in, but the fur babies don't know today is Saturday. All three of them were ready for Mom to get up and let them go outside to the fenced in backyard. Love my fur babies! Now let's get back to cooking caramel candy.


This recipe is from my Grandma Pansy's "The American Woman's Cook Book". What I like about the recipe is that it doesn't use cream. You use evaporated milk and homogenized milk.


VANILLA CARAMELS

Yield: about 1 pound.

Ingredients


2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
4 Tbsp. butter
1 cup evaporated milk

Directions


  • Place sugar, corn syrup, milk, butter, and evaporated milk into a heavy pan.
  • Cook the ingredients to the stiff ball stage, or 246 degrees F. I kept my gas stove on medium low, #3 - #4 on the knob.
  • Remove from the fire,
  • Add the vanilla and stir it in. I used imitation vanilla extract and the caramel was heavenly.
  • Pour the caramel into a buttered pan. 
  • When it is cold, turn it out of the pan and cut it into squares.
  • Wrap squares in wax paper and store in a covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB