Saturday, January 26, 2013

Fast and Fabulous Pantry Style French Toast

We are French toast fanatics!
Not filled French toast, not gourmet French toast, not berry smothered French toast, we just want some old fashioned, made with love French toast. This morning Bill wanted French toast and I whipped up my favorite egg and milk mixture. As I was replacing  the vanilla bottle on the spice shelf, the small container of ground allspice caught my eye. Hmmmmm maybe an eighth of a teaspoon would compliment the taste of the egg?


Now I don't like putting cinnamon in my egg mixture because cinnamon clumps up and wants to float on the surface. The first slice of sandwich bread has lots of cinnamon, but as you continue dipping bread slices the cinnamon presence becomes smaller and smaller. However, I know that allspice will incorporate into the mix and a small amount would add that little extra flavor without really making its presence known. Allspice has a combination flavor that tastes like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, hence the name allspice. Now where was I? Oh yeah, French toast.


My French toast starts with just a basic egg and milk mixture that has sugar and vanilla added to it. So I went ahead and added the allspice before dipping the day-old, white sandwich bread slices into the eggy mix. Each slice was allowed to sit and soak up some eggy goodness for 10-15 seconds before I flipped it over and  let the other side soak up some of the mixture too. Then it was time to place the slices onto a griddle that had one tablespoon of butter, not margarine, melted on it. Patiently I cooked the four slices to golden brown perfection over a low flame. Then it was time to taste test my new recipe.


Breakfast was served and  my first bite was so incredibly good that I was actually surprised that I had made it. Bill thought it was the best French toast he had ever eaten. Oh yeah I made the hubby happy! Slowly savoring a bite I could taste just a hint of allspice, but it had added a richness to the toast that really surprised me. Try my recipe and see if you can make your husband think you're a kitchen wizard.

Ingredients

4-5 large eggs                      1 teaspoon sugar                            1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup regular milk            1/8 teaspoon ground allspice         5-6 slices day old white bread 
                                1 Tablespoon butter, not margarine, butter

Servings: 2-3

Directions

  • Turn your oven to warm and place two, oven safe dinner plates in it to heat.
  • Pour syrup of your choice into a one cup glass measuring cup with a pouring spout. Put aside for later.
  • Put a griddle on your stove burner over low heat or flame, put one tablespoon of butter on the griddle and let it melt. If your butter starts to turn brown, your heat is too high.
  • place eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and ground all spice in a wide, shallow bowl. Beat with a fork or whisk until mixture is thick and yellow.
  • Place a bread slice into the egg mixture for 10-15 seconds, flip over and repeat with that side. Continue until you have four slices of French toast on the griddle. Cook until both sides are golden brown. Remove your slices and place on the two warm plates in the oven. Cook the remaining slices of bread after dipping them in the egg mixture bath.  
  • Once all your French toast is done and warming in the oven, place the glass measuring cup in the microwave and heat for fifteen seconds. If the glass cup doesn't feel warm, cook for another ten seconds.
  • Using oven mitts or hot pads, remove you two warm plates from the oven and you are ready to eat. 
 Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB