Tuesday, May 5, 2015

SalleeShares: My New Spice Love, Garam Masala


How many spice containers are sitting in your cabinet right now?
Five, ten, twenty? My two spice shelves are full, full, full right now. A friend is moving to Oklahoma and guess who was gifted with a box of spices? The bottle that excited me the most was a brand-new, unopened bottle of garam masala.

What's garam masala you ask?
Garam masala is an Indian spice blend that is used in dishes such as Chicken Masala. Anyhow, I tried it out by making a chicken dish called "Fragrant Garam Masala Chicken Stew with Peas and Potatoes." Well, Bill's assessment was - It's Okay, but...and I agreed with him. No more savory applications of garam masala will be making an appearance on the Bonham dinner table. However, my taste buds took notice of the warm flavors that were reminiscent of fall baking and autumn holidays. 

Garam masala reminds me of an apple pie. Yum! 

I searched "garam masala + apple pie" on Google and found that several other baker/bloggers have discovered this yummy combo too! Below are the top six results for my search and a quick note on the information that I learned.
At The Kitchn, garam masala was substituted for the pumpkin pie spice in their apple pie recipe and loved the switch!

The Glamorous Housewife decided to pair a sour cream apple pie with garam 

masala. I have no experience with chai tea, but the Glamorous Housewife assures readers 
that garam masala is reminiscent of chai tea flavor. Hence, the name of her pie.
Another believer in the pairing of garam masala and apple pie. A recipe is included.

And another believer of this pairing! A great recipe from vegan cookbook author 

Terry Romero. Are you seeing a pattern here?

Indian as Apple Pie is actually the next THREE search results. However, they

believe garam masala is as Indian as apple pie is American! 

Another use for the apple and garam masala! Put it in chunky apple sauce, or any 

applesauce!


I am going to be reaching for garam masala the next time I make apple spice cake, 
apple pie, apple tarts, or apple anything. Be looking for my new spice love - garam 
masala.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you so much for stopping by and visiting. SalleeB